Friday, March 10, 2006

Bye Bye Blackbird


So I'm in the middle of the park and I notice this strange little man putting peanut butter on this one tree and then stepping back to admire his handiwork. This guy was a regular Dr. Doolittle, being surrounded by all manner of squirrels and chipmunks and birds.

After watching for some time from a distance, I decided to approach the very non-scary-but-still-strange little man and get the scoop. Apparently, he comes to the park each day to give the animals their little snack. Get this: there is a definite preference for chunky peanut butter rather than creamy. Go figure.

This particular tree was unbelievably covered in squirrels, pigeons, and little black birds like the one shown here. If the sky hadn't been the sort of gunmetal gray that is so mightily boring and uninteresting that it completely ruins each picture where it's featured, I would have taken a shot of the whole tree for your viewing pleasure.

You'll just have to make do with what you got! :)

4 comments:

MattO said...

Wow I wonder what the attraction to the peanut butter is. I like the motion blur and the story is cool. I am always afraid to approach people, especially odd ones. :-) Congrats on the new laptop, I hope it serves you well.

Vikas said...

Chunky peanut butter is the best !! It feels nice to know that birds, squirrels and chipmunks like the same :-D

TonyV said...

The funniest thing about this is that I have Silver Bird by Gregory Isaacs playing on the PC right now ... and the lyrics go ... fly fly little silver bird ... fly fly away.

Unknown said...

Nice bird shot. What a nice man you ran into. I used to stuff peanut butter into large pine cones and hang them for the birds. I had to stop when I realized I was setting out bait for the neighbors cats.