Friday, March 17, 2006

5p


Well, it's not green and it's not beer, but it is from Ireland. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This is just some of the coins I brought back with me from my last trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland. On the left, and on top, is the old 5p from the Republic of Ireland. On the right, and underneath the Eire coin is a 5p from Northern Ireland which is now under the control of the UK.

The old Irish coin is no longer in existence, the Republic having gone Euro since then.

I suppose in a small way this might be considered a minor political statement; although I'm American my family emigrated from the townland of Clonmain, County Armagh, Ireland around 1830. My ancestor's naturalization papers refer to his homeland as (Ulster) Ireland, although in 1922 parts of Ulster became what is now known as Northern Ireland. Having studied Irish history in college, and since I'm only American due to the policies of the British government at the time, I do have opinions on a united Ireland. As a US citizen, I'm deeply grateful to today's British government for their support of my own American government.

The history is long and complicated, but many scholars agree that any hope for a united Ireland probably was dashed after the Flight of the Earls. One of my favorite accounts of the Flight appears in the book Milestones of Irish History (page 61) and goes like this:

'On Wednesday night, they say, he travelled all night with his impediments, that is his women and children; and it is likewise reported that the Countess, his wife, being exceedingly weary, slipped down from her horse and weeping said she could go no farther: whereupon the earl drew his sword and swore a great oath that he would kill her in the place, if she would not pass on with him, and put on a more cheerful countenance withal.'

Erin go bragh! (translated: Ireland Forever!)

Slainte!



(c) 2006 by A1275

3 comments:

MattO said...

Someday I'd like to go to Ireland where my ancestors came from. Its such a beautiful yet unsettled place. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Nice shot of currency here.

mike fairbanks said...

Excellent Blog!!! And I agree!

United Irelander said...

Some of us Irish remain hopeful of a United Ireland. I blog about a UI at my blog United Irelander.