Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Way Things Were


Sometimes I wish for a camera that takes pictures of The Way Things Were.

What I was going for here was to show the camera with the lens pointed at a subject in the present, but actually recording the subject the way it used to be. I know, it needs a little more work, but if you have any suggestions...I'm now accepting them in my in-box.

The shot on the LCD screen is a picture of the Hesper and the Luther Little, one of the few 4-masted schooners left in the State of Maine and at the time, docked in the harbor in Wiscasset, ME. The frame on the wall is the newspaper article detailing the removal of the rotten schooners from the harbor, and with it is a piece of wood and an iron nail from the Luther Little. When I was a kid in school, you could see these ships during recess from our playground. When the ships were taken away, residents could go to the town dump and gather scraps. My mom remembered how much I loved these ships, and framed pieces from both for me, along with an image of them as they looked when I was a child. This set is among my most treasured possessions.

For more info on these ships, go here (scroll down to Item #6) and also here which has more pictures of the ships, and also shows the playground where I used to go to school.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

mk said...

This is neat! I don't know, maybe a bit more light on the back of the camera? I'm wondering if people who didn't know what this idea was will be able to tell what it is. Kudos for the complicated idea...I never have neat ideas like this.

mike fairbanks said...

Been there, seen those, I never knew the names of them though, thanks for the info, one of these years I hope to go on one of the Windjammer cruises out of that area, I too love the old sailing ships!

Edward said...

That's the way to do it.
Yah.
That's Old School.

Nicely creative.

MattO said...

Man what a creative PAD, I think the most creative I have seen to date. Well done. And the story behind the shot is very cool.

Anonymous said...

Great shot. I like the history behind this.