Monday, January 02, 2006

Ode to William Blake


O Rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,
Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy:
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.
--"The Sick Rose" by William Blake
I, A1275, do solemnly swear that I took the picture and then found the poem. It was just too good, I'm weak as water and couldn't resist.

Has been hanging in my dining room to dry for far too long. I can't even remember who gave it to me, for cripe's sakes. Gonna snap the head off this sucker and throw it in the glass jar of other dead rose petals. When I get a sufficient number, I'm going to do something cool with them -- like maybe make some potpourri or whatever else might stink pretty.

It was another infrared experiment with a posterizing effect added afterward.

7 comments:

TonyV said...

Different. Light seems to be a bit strong ... or the shadows are out of kilter with the rest of the picture.

Unknown said...

Interesting, makes you think
I works very well with the poem

Laurie L. Black said...

Beautiful...in a creepy, dead, crispy sort of way. ;) Love the poem too!

Linda said...

not sure I like the green - but it is very interesting and emotive, especially with the poem linked to it.

Ben said...

I like the double meaning in the poem :) I think a softer light from more to the side would improve the shot, giving more depth to the Rose like there is depth to the poem.

Kiyoko Gotanda said...

Cool shot, and very interesting with the poem.

I'm not a fan of the hue though. Just my personal taste...

hvincent said...

Very appropriate, I think, it looks like the epitome of diseased beauty. Blake makes me happy. This picture makes me want to crawl into a hole and cuddle that deadrosething to sleep.