Friday, January 06, 2006

Magic Window - Unfinished Idea - Need Help


This is actually a mural painted on a building in downtown Providence. I shot it with the idea that I could bring it home, overlay some modern window panes on it, maybe some fancy curtains and hand drawing them back, and have the effect of a "magic window" that looks back out into the past.

Unfortunately, whenever you overlay window panes it ruins the composition of the scene, and I haven't figured out how do the whole curtain thing without the same problem. My final idea was to have a silhouette of someone (in the front) looking at the scene, but that's not working out so well, either. So now I'm asking for help: how would you do it? What can I do to make this a "magic window"?

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Great shot! Came out perfect! As for your window idea, have you thought of putting up a frosty window with a section wiped out? :-)

Linda said...

I can't help you on how to make the magic window - but it sounds like a cool idea. The shot is real nice. A very nostalgic scene.

Robert Mann said...

I started shooting murals in Philly so I love this. Great shot and the mural is as well. I like your window idea.....I'm guesing that you might have been thinking of only 4 panes for your frame. It might with 6 or two rows of three? Would be interested in seeing if you do.

Elizabeth Abbott said...

Perhaps a window frame, instead of a curtain? You could choose where to have the panes intersect. Or, if you really like the curtains idea, I would recommend curtain in just the upper corners. There's no way to know how FAR away this scene is, and if the "viewer" was very close to the window, we might only see the drawn back curtain in the upper right corner.

Beautiful mural though! And you're really sticking with the black and white nicely :-) Something I need to get done myself.

Elizabeth Abbott said...

Maybe window panes instead of a curtain? Or, my other suggestion would be just a small portion of the curtain in the upper right hand corner....as if we're really close to the viewer.

Kiyoko Gotanda said...

Nice shot, and some great ideas have already been said.

What if it was more of a magic window as opposed to a magic window? Maybe one of those safe like doors opening into the mural?

Kekiinani said...

This is s a terrific mural. I really like it. Not sure how you could put a window frame without really taking away from it. Perhpas just the sides and bottom you could make it look like the ledge of a wooden window on the bottom and then perhaps some wood molding on the the sides to give it that window look? Hmmm not sure just a thought. It really is a nice photo. Aloha, Renee :)

Laurie L. Black said...

I bet I can find some scrapbooking overlays or embellishments that would work...I'll look around and see what's out there. Beautiful scene! :)

mk said...

1/7 9:45! /me taps her toes...