Friday, January 27, 2006

Courtship, Victorian Style



OK, my turn for a candle shot. This is a Victorian courtship candle holder.

A candle holder of this type was used as a timepiece by a young girl's father when her suitor came to visit. If the father liked the boy, he would place the wooden peg on a higher rung and put a long candle in the holder. If he disapproved, he'd put a short candle in the holder and then push the wooden peg down to a lower rung. When the candle had burned down to the top edge of the holder, it was a signal that the visit was over.

I've always imagined that young girls would secretly move the peg up a notch or two when their father wasn't looking, if they desired some extra time for good-byes....of course, there's no way to tell for sure now, is there?

6 comments:

Kiyoko Gotanda said...

Fingerprints!! J/K

Very neat story. Now fathers just call the cell phones, right? Amazing how times have changed

My only suggestion would be to close the paerture (if possible) a bit more. It might make the candle flame a bit more star like. I'm not sure though... just a suggestion

mk said...

Yes, smaller "paerture" would be neat but nicely lit overall and I like the tablecloth. And what a neat entry. I've never seen anything like this. These PaDs are certainly educational.

Unknown said...

A neat bit of history here :)I'm with you. I'll bet they figured out some way to make the candle burn longer. Maybe blew it out and relit it later heh. Nice shot.

Sonja (Photographer/Owner) said...

That is interesting to know. I had never seen a candle holder like that. Excellent shot and it matches perfectly with your background blog color.

Karen said...

Lovely photo, I've never seen a candle holder like that before or heard the story about them.

Edward said...

you're like a living, breathing history lesson. Crazy.