Thursday, January 05, 2006

Derek's Veggie Puff


My nephew Derek, with a veggie puff. This one made me laugh when I saw it, even harder than actually watching him trying to get it in his mouth instead of his nose. The veggie puff actually did get consumed, along with a few others, in typical kiddie fashion. What a mess to clean up!

The background in this was a cabinet with minor clutter and the veggie puff container. I couldn't move the high chair because that ruined the lighting, so I whipped out dodge/burn from my bag of tricks and basically burned the crap out of it. Looking now, I see I may have gone a little crazy on the top hand, but I'm pretending that it just looks like a shadow rather than editing gone awry. The hard part was to get the eyelashes on that side to stand out against the burned background.

I, of course, eat every meal like it was my last and never , ever miss the mouth in favor of the nose anymore....

11 comments:

Edward said...

Hehehe.. these are some of the funnest photos, aren't they? hilarious.

Linda said...

I love candids - this one is so cute. Why do we have to grow up and get so worried about the messes?

Anonymous said...

Great shot. The eyes really sparkle. Nicely done.

Karen said...

Very cute!

mk said...

I actually don't see any problem with the hand so I think you did just fine. The reflection in the baby's eye really adds to the photo. But eeeew! :)

Also, congrats on mastering eating.

kaye said...

Fantastic! I hadn't noticed the darkness of his hand until I read what you did. It looked just like a shadow to me. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of little Derek... he makes for an adorable shot!

Unknown said...

Absolutely precious. Great lighting. Wonderful expression :)

Di said...

i love it when kids make this kind of mess... means they totally enjoyed the food they were eatign :)

Kiyoko Gotanda said...

One more person who thinks this is a great capture of what makes kids, well.. kids! I like the angle on this... may have to try it

mike fairbanks said...

Very classic childhood moment captured here, LOL. Using a harder brush on the burn tool would prolly have saved the damage to the top of the hand, live and learn.
Mike

Jen said...

Very cute! Nice focus on those big blue eyes. I like the tight composition. This is a keeper. Something to smile at when he's older.