Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dead & Rotten









"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you were dead & rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." -- Benjamin Franklin





Today is Benjamin Franklin's birthday. He is a personal hero of mine. Although he was just a simple (human) man with many faults, he made his mark on the lives of others and managed to found a country along the way.

"What is so important to you, that you would risk your life to preserve it?"

Trainees at a Franklin Planner seminar are asked this very question first thing in the morning. I went to one about 10 years ago, and we were all asked to imagine walking across a steel I-beam suspended between the (then) two towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. Most participants (myself included) immediately thought of those that we loved, and values that we cherished. We were asked to write those things down, and save it for later.

Then the instructor talked of Benjamin Franklin. Ben had a personal program of self-development, which he called his Book of Virtues. They consisted of 13 "virtues" that were important for a man to have good character. Every three months, he would pick a "virtue" and resolve to practice an example of it in his daily life.

Finally, the instructor asked us to review the things on our list -- those things that were so important to us that we would risk our lives to preserve them. Were we currently paying enough attention to the things that we'd said were our highest priorities?

At the time, my answer was, "No." Today, things are different. Today, and every day, I wake up and think about the things that are really matter to me. My family, my friends, my career, and my personal goals. Each day I "make time" for the things that are important to me. This PAD project is a good example of that - I want to record the things that that mean something to me. I want to be a better photographer, and learn and grow in my technical skills and develop my creative eye. No matter how busy I get, I want to make time for my family and actually act in all sorts of little ways to let them know how much I value those relationships. I want to be a good friend to those who've chosen me to be a part of their lives. I want to strive to be a better person; more thoughtful and patient with others, and maybe just leave a bit of merriment behind. A sense of humor is an important thing, no?

So, while today's shot might have little visual impact as far as stunning images are concerned, I just wanted to celebrate the things that are important in my life. I hope you don't mind.

Tomorrow I'll be back to my regular, irreverent self.

3 comments:

MattO said...

What amazing insight to Ole Ben. I have never read much about him, other then what was required in school. You have peeked my interest.

Linda said...

BF was truly a good man indeed. This is one of his other qoutes that I have always felt very true:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

I enjoy reading your PAD writings as well as viewing your photos - both are enjoyable.

Sonja (Photographer/Owner) said...

Ok..you hit a nerve! I am jealous of your writing..I wish I could write like you do. Your stuff really draws me to you. I am going to find this book of virtues. Nice handwriting.