Saturday, February 18, 2006

Real Sentimental



What I learned today was that it's extremely hard to shoot diamonds. It's much, much, much easier to wear them. The other thing I learned is that my black velvet "frilly bits" that I was trying to use as a background are prone to lint and funky light absorption. Again, it's much, much, much easier to wear the frilly bits.

This is a family heirloom ring, that I thought I would try to photograph mostly because I read an article about this company. Seems that some entrepreneur has decided to make artificial diamonds from the cremated remains of your loved ones. Yup, you read that right. Gramma and Grampa can now be together forever and always close to your heart if you set their diamonds together on a broach. Apparently, all this company needs is 8 ounces of ash, sans teeth or whatever other foreign material and prosthetic devices happen to be present in the remains.

Eight ounces. They'll send the rest back to you, upon request.

Diamonds made from the human remains are either yellow or blue, depending on how much money you spend. For $19,000 you can have a 1 carat blue diamond made out of yourself; they take payment plans and you can set the whole thing up before you die just like you could a funeral. LifeGem claims that each person is unique, and so the exact shade of yellow or blue is dependent on the person. (Guess what? According to LifeGem your momma was right - you are special and unique!)

Did I mention they also can make diamonds out of pets?

Now, I'm not advocating wearing Fido on a pendant around your neck, but you gotta admire the ingenuity. I mean, who spends $19 grand for a fake diamond? Yet somehow, these people have cashed in on an old Victorian mourning tradition (wearing jewelry made of the deceased's woven hair) and given it a 21st century spin.

Brilliant!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shot of the ring. The making people into diamonds part is just morbid. People are strange.

MattO said...

Gives a whole new meaning to the term Family Heirloom doesnt it. Never tried shots of jewelry maybe I will this week if I feel up to taking on a challenge. Nice job.

Kekiinani said...

Oh that just sounds icky.. So sorry to say. I am not sure I would feel very comfortable wearing well.. hmmmmmm..
Nice shot though.. I think you did a fantastic job on the lighting. I know it is not as easy at looks.. Aloha, Renee :)

mike fairbanks said...

Great pic, especially considering how hard they are to photograph! Actually they're not fake gems, that would be cubic zirconium, they are real diamonds, just lab made. Seems like a pretty cool idea, but then I wonder what if like 2 or 3 generations someone who never knew the deceased needs cash, could end up inadvertently having great grandma on ebay, or worse, sittin in a pawn shop for eternity.....

Unknown said...

Diamonds from loved ones.. thats just wrong.

Sonja (Photographer/Owner) said...

OH my! that is a little extreme..LOL..you did good on your photo.

mk said...

I can't decide if this is better or worse than being able to get your pet stuffed and keep them in the corner. At least they aren't offering that for humans, that I'm aware of anyway.