Thursday, December 22, 2005

Playing with Filters


So I was playing around in Digital Image Pro 10 with some filters. I get bored like that late at night, and sometimes can't stop fiddling around and messing things up. This was a pleasant surprise! This happens to be the Photocopy filter rather than some sketch/drawing filter. The difference is that the sketch/drawing filters tend to have more lines and artifacts. When I saw how simple this was, I immediately thought of a coloring book for all the new kids in my extended family. Unfortunately, some of the lines on the left side of the face were super-faint due to the lighting in the original, so I had to go in with the Dodge/Burn tool to darken them up a bit. Took about an hour to hand-draw the extra lines with the Burn brush, but next time I'll pay better attention to the lighting.

So what do you think of this idea? I take some super duper meaningful pix in the next 2 or 3 years, and convert them to drawings as described above, and publish a coloring book personalized to the kids. Things like "My favorite toy when I was a baby" and "Grammie's house" and "My Town" and "My First Christmas Tree" etc. If you have any ideas, post them below.

No comments: